Thursday, May 8, 2014

Do you doubt yourself?

TRUTH:  These are the thoughts that run through my head on a daily basis...

"Why did that person say my yoga class was awesome?  I'm sure they are lying."
"What the hell was that class?  Everyone hated it."

And you know why I have these thoughts?  My teachers, the ones who inspired me to become a teacher have that "it" factor.  I know, deep down, I have it.  I know people see it.  The instructors I admire are themselves, they are genuine, they bring something amazing to the table.  All of them unique.  Strong, role models for women.  Comparing my 3 years of teaching to teachers with a decade or more of teaching and life experience is never a good thing.

3 Reasons Why I Validate the Self Doubt:

1. I am dyslexic.  It is freakin' hard to remember which leg was raised first or what side we just did, especially if I am facing the class.  I feel like dyslexia comes with word flubbing.  I am so far ahead in my thoughts, that I'll say two words at once.  I've gotten pretty good at laughing it off and LOVE when people in class have a sense of humor...hint hint

2.  Vertigo (dizziness, feeling hungover without drinking, world .  A lot.  If I'm in table top and I look at the mat, my world starts spinning.  Not all the time, but enough to keep looking forward and not down.  But I know that if I can keep on going, keep on keepin' on, I will inspire others with this stupid balancing disorder.

3.  Self- doubt.  I can already feel the heavy shoulders and the thoughts churning around in my mind.  "I'm not good enough."  This one is a toughy.  Self doubt can set you back SO FAR!  Far enough that you will never do what you're meant to because YOU get in the way.  I know, because I am one of those people.  Every day when my mind tries to convince me of my suckiness, I think about it and find reasons why I AM good enough.  Some days it works and some days it doesn't.  But it's better than not trying.  Am I right?

Do you have self doubt?  Here are 3 things I try:

1. Reverse the doubt and turn it into confidence.
2. Do it any way.
3. Talk to friends about it.  Talk to people you admire.

Breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment