Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tribute to Dad.

The weather is blah.  Thank God I have my Dad.  He is my motivation for getting to the gym in the early morning.  We meet 3 times a week at 7AM to warm-up on the treadmill, row machine or bike and then play 30 or so minutes of racquetball...

yes, racquetball.  The old man sport that proves my Dad is a real athlete.  The man has skills.  Mathematical whiz.  He knows where the ball is going to end up based on the way his racquet is positioned...Unfair advantage? I think so.  He's also in his sixties and murders me on the court.  He reminds me how old he is after every win as he's grinning.  "Old age and treachery, " is his favorite comment whenever he adds a little spin to his serve.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.
What started out as a personal project last year to help Dad lose some weight evolved into something much greater.  Now, he makes it to the gym 5 TIMES A WEEK!!!  With or without me, he's there.  Clocks in a minimum of 2 miles and goes on with the rest of his day.  He just needed a little nudge.  In addition, he started the 24 Day Challenge right after I completed my first one and stayed on Spark, Meal Replacement Shakes, Catalyst and ThermoPlus.

Since May of last year, he's lost 16 pounds and kept it off!!  The doctor took him off a medication and reduced others, which Dad should be really proud of because it was his hard work.  I want him (and of course my Mom) to be around until I have grandchildren.  Yep.  I said, grandchildren.  So they might be in their 100's, but a woman turned 117 yesterday, so it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment