Saturday, March 1, 2014

Stop the Jealousy!


You can hear it in someone's tone or the way a picture is critiqued on Facebook.  Thoughts turn negative in your head and start to spin into a sarcastic tornado.  You start comparing yourself to what you see.  You either don't measure up or you laugh at their expense, out of jealousy.  Either way, comparing only leaves you feeling empty.  All of a sudden, you aren't good enough and nothing you've done amounts to anything.  All your hard work and what's to show?

I felt myself falling deep into this rabbit hole of self-destruction.  But this time, I stopped midway, gave myself a little love slap and forged onward.  The mind is a powerful tool, your choice, truly, whether to use it for good or bad.

I trained my mind in that instant to stop comparing and start celebrating.  There are things I was graced with and things I wasn't.  I have the gift of empathy and understanding.  I know this.  And I know how unique and special it is.  What I don't have is laser beam focus.  There is not ONE thing that I can devote all my time and energy to because I am interested in everything!  And I celebrate people who rise to the top because of their tunnel vision.  I admire these people and try to learn from them.

Last night, I got to hang with the girls.  And for 3 hours, we did nothing but eat snacks, drink a little wine and talk about our latest rendezvous.  It was heaven.  As I listened, I glanced around the room and noticed how different our lives were, but how we were the same.  Despite our daily activities and our job titles, we are women, just trying to do our best to live rich, full lives.

One, a Qi Gong Instructor & CFO of Uplift Yourself.  Another, a Senior Donor Relations of the MS Society.  The other two were involved with social media, analytics and marketing, they spoke in a foreign language...search engines and secretly disguised advertising lingo.  I loved it.  I soaked in the difference and thought, what a great group of girls.  I sat there as a Yoga Teacher, Health Coach and small business owner and listened to all the qualities bouncing around the room.  These women were real, honest and open.  We didn't take a picture and post it to Facebook or Instagram.  We just lived.  We talked.  We laughed.  We commiserated.  We left.  And I woke up today feeling inspired.  A change is a comin' and the change starts with a loud BANG!  It's my internal drum, starting to celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this, J.

    For how crazy, stressful, and defeating of a work week I had just had, I left Jordie's place on Friday night feeling so much better, lifted... which I really did not think was possible after such a week. Loved our chat and hearing what's going on in everyone's life. We need to have more nights like that one.

    Happy Monday... hope your week is off to a great start :) love you!

    ReplyDelete