Monday, July 7, 2014

Teaching Yoga with a Fractured Rib/2/3

I approach this week with fear.  Fear that I'll accidentally slip into a pose and I'll hear the same "CRACK CRACK CRACK" as last week.  The kind of cracks you don't want to hear when you are teaching a class.  Let alone the kind of cracks you don't want to hear EVER.

Last week when I was demonstrating a plank pose where you move one knee to your elbow, the cracks exploded in my body.  I was like, "oh shit, ouch, ouch, ouch, I can't breathe..." but remained calm on the outside and did my best to finish teaching the last 30 minutes.  I left class barely able to walk home because every time I took a breath I thought I'd collapse.

I got home and iced for 30 minutes, hoping I'd feel better.  Sleeping on my left side was actually comical because it hurt so bad.  It felt like my rib fell off and was floating in my stomach and every deep breath was like, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?"

I went to the doctor, got some x-rays and showed the doctor my rib that now poked out farther than the other side.  Every twist, my breath got sucked out and every side bend stopped before it started.  Hairline fractures/fractures in between the ribcage was the diagnosis.  RX: Basically, don't move for at least 2-4 weeks...INSERT SHOCKED FACE.

How does one even go about not moving for upwards of a month, let alone if they are a yoga/fitness/health instructor who uses their body as a tool & voice?  One week has passed, with cancelled classes last week.  It sucks.  Bottom line.  But, it's a challenge.  And I accept.  Using my voice, instead of my body to guide a 60 minute class is not natural for me, but I'll learn something, so might as well dive in the deep waters to save my rib from getting any worse.

If you know of any remedies besides taking it easy, please forward this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment