Wednesday, April 9, 2014

True Life: I'm a Full Time Yoga Instructor

The Goods:

  • Helping people get healthy.
  • Enforcing movement into peoples lives.
  • Moving all day.
  • Creating my own schedule.  I can agree or disagree to which days and times I teach.  
  • I can go on as many vacations as I want, as long as I find subs.
  • Making meals from home all the time.
  • Having a ton of alone time.
  • Researching is going to yoga/other fitness classes.
  • Choosing the music in class.
  • Making new friends.
  • People saying thank you at the end of class.
  • Meeting up with friends for morning/early afternoon walks.
  • Having a schedule that allows me to work out with my Dad most mornings.
  • Teaching a max of 4 hours per day, (this is a lot, regular is 2).
  • Meeting my Mom for late lunches.
  • Grocery shopping when no one else is there.

The Not-So-Goods:

  • No paid vacation time.
  • If I feel sick, I still have to teach, it's my income.
  • Losing my voice.
  • Being sore a lot.
  • People bringing cell phones into class...this makes me sad and pissed at the same time.
  • Working weird hours, so not able to see 9-5 friends as much.
  • No benefits.
  • Creating a class for all the injuries and levels of experience.
  • Keeping track of all things paid for for tax purposes.
  • Getting stuck in traffic/not being able to find parking and being late to teach a class.  This is the worst feeling in the world.
I've had MANY jobs.  The 9-5, the assistant, the salon job, the receptionist job, a position in sales, jobs I've hated and jobs I've loved.  But being a Yoga Teacher is one of the best jobs in the world.  My job is to get people moving, breathing and smiling.  Ain't nothin' like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment