Friday, June 29, 2012

We're ALL Beginners.

After talking to a girlfriend about completing this insanely challenging full yoga mala, (108 sun salutations, 2 hours, in a room hotter than 95 degrees F), she said, "think about how skinny you'll be..."  It really rubbed me the wrong way.  Not once did I think, "I will be so skinny after the mala."  I definitely thought about how strong I'd feel if I could complete all 108 salutations.  I don't want that to be the message for girls trying yoga/people feeling too intimidated to step into a trendy yoga studio.

Intimidated to try yoga?  Think about this:

  • Very few start out being able to do certain poses/holds.
  • Everyone is a beginner, regardless of how long people practice.
  • The muscles on the people in front of you didn't happen over night.
  • EveryBODY can do yoga, regardless of injury, if the pose isn't speaking to you, modify it/take child's pose.
  • When you notice your breath quickening, smile.
  • If you feel like YOU can't do it, dedicate your yoga sesh to someone in your life who needs that positive energy.
  • Wear clothes that YOU feel good in and if you don't feel good yet, don't worry, you will.
  • You'll be surprised at your strength after a few classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment