Tuesday, February 14, 2012

VeGaN RoAd TriP!

Who knew that you could drive from Seattle to Los Angeles and eat completely vegan!?  And I experienced my first taste of Seitan, (pronounced say-tawn) a vegan protein I wasn't sure of, but that's partly due to the fact I thought it was pronounced Satan.

The trip started with delicious bevy's from Starbucks.
3 hours later the CAFFEINE HIGH was on a downward spiral into no man's land
until we stumbled upon...
Down To Earth Cafe
Location: Portland, OR!
Can I just say thank you Portland!?
TOFU SCRAMBLE (vegan)

Firm tofu, mushrooms, red onions, zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, topped with avocado; with salsa


Absa-freakin-loutely DIVINE!  I wish I could snap my fingers and have a nice fine man deliver me this tofu scramble breakfast every morning...along with a mimosa.


Hours later, after a short detour for a wine tasting (whoopsie daisy) we yelped, organic vegan restaurants and stumbled upon the Greenleaf Restaurant
for another meal sent from the food lords.
WHERE: ASHLAND, OREGON

VEGAN SALAD

Cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, grated carrots, roasted red bell peppers, pepperoncini, sprouts & sunflower seeds on a bed of tossed greens.  9.95



We shared a small vegan pizza & the best black lentil bean soup
I've ever tasted.

This is a picture from their website.
I wasn't quick enough to get my camera out.  The food was gone.
Just when we thought our luck couldn't get any better...
WHERE: SAN FRANSISCO & LOS ANGELES
Never have I been more excited to order food.
CAFE GRATITUDE
I AM EXTRAORDINARY!
We loved it so much we ate at Cafe Gratitude in San Fransisco and Los Angeles!  I wish I had more pictures, but we smashed the food like it was our mutha' grubbin' job!
The delectable desserts!

After 22 hours in the car and several hours between our last meal, the hungry vegans landed in Hollywood, CA!

Where: TRULY VEGAN
Don't judge a book by the cover!
I ordered the YUMMY! Salad! & added Seitan!


Every crunchy bite of the perfectly seasoned Seitan made me eat until I was at/over my full belly capacity!  I just kept eating and eating and the salad would not decrease.  It was packed full of fresh veggies, avocado, Seitan & light dressing.  We guzzled down coconut water from a coconut (cool) & and ordered fresh veggie rolls before our salads made their grand entrance.
It doesn't get any better than road trippin' and eating quality food with quality people.

Signing off,
3 Happy Bellies

3 comments:

  1. By the end of the trip I became a self-proclaimed Vegan! haha

    Me: "I'm Veeeegggannnn!"
    J: "You are???" o_0

    Thank you for enlightening me, and showing me that the way to a healthy AND DELICIOUS lifestyle is simply one click away! (shout out to steve jobs & the yelp gods!)

    BEST ROAD TRIP EVER.

    CARPE DIEM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that we ate vegan food that tasted dammmmmmmn good the entire time and not once did we eat in a place that had a couple vegan options!

    THANK YOU FOR BEING OPEN MINDED AND EXPERIMENTAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could do it all over again!!! - wait...we can!!!! J you're up next!! I love that we all went the vegan route! Notice how we only ate 3 meals the whole time...it's because we filled ourselves up with healthy food that left us satisfied and fulfilled - imagine how horrible we would have felt if we ate poorly and snacked the whole way! CARPE DIEM and CARPE HEALTH!! haha

    ReplyDelete