Monday, April 18, 2011

Reading Into Yoga.


I'm obsessed with hot yoga.

In the 90 degree yoga studio 3 to 6 x's a week, I am loving every minute.

One month has passed, since I started the Yoga Alliance Certification Course at Queen Anne Haute Yoga. I am sitting up straighter, putting on my socks while standing and sliding my jeans right up....except for one, slight problem. Since I've been doing squat and lunge-like poses, my butt is stronger and it seems to....um.... have bubbled. I guess that's how I'm looking at it, because for once in my life, my jeans slide right over my thighs, but have a hard time making it over my booty. I'm not sure how I feel about this one, except for that it's better to have a basketball booty than a pancake.

Other than the growing glutes, I feel more stable in my emotional thinking. It's easier to let things go and move on to thoughts that actually matter. Like, the universal thought of, "What the hell am I doing here?" I am reading, "Yoga & the Quest for the True Self, by Stephen Cope." I highly recommend this book to anyone going through a questioning chapter of life. Cope talks about how a big change can unleash a deep, hidden feeling within. A promotion, a baby, a marriage, a move, dietary changes, any big event can bring these feelings to the surface.

The problem does not lie within the discovering of this new self, but what to do next. I found that for me, I am a 'Wanderer.' Cope says that, "the Wanderer intentionally sets out to confront the unknown, taking a journey that marks the beginning of life lived at a new level. During their travels Wanderers find a treasure that symbolically represents the gift of their true selves. And to find this gift, the Wanderer will suffer a deep reorganization of life."

I don't agree with suffering into this chaotic life, I like to look at it as jumping into a tornado, unsure of where it's going to spit you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment