Thursday, July 24, 2014

Confessions from a Yoga Teacher

"It's only one hour.  You can do it.  Come on.  It's only your second class of the day, what's the big deal?  Put on your yoga clothes, drink some water, maybe brush your teeth and put some music on.  Get going!"

It's gray outside.  It's been raining all day and my energy is zapped.  I've been lying in bed since 11am and it is now 3pm.  What was I doing?  I know a ton of health coaches who go through this dark mode...that I am in right now.

I don't have a master's degree in nutrition/exercise science, I am a Certified Health Coach + Yoga Instructor looking for other ways to jazz up my life, the programs I offer and my work.  But I am stuck.  I am stuck in the land of too much opportunity.  Too many different roads.  Which one am I supposed to take?  I decide none, so I stay in the land of stuck.

Not motivated to teach.  Tired.  Energy low.  Exhausted.  Hungry.  But not hungry, just bored with routine.  Think about finishing the book I started writing.  That's as far as that gets.  Eat some oatmeal with fruit, think about offering a cooking class.  Convince myself I don't know enough or no one will like how it tastes.

Start to take nice, deep breaths in, wishing I could GO to a yoga class and just lay on the mat.  Listen to the instructor's voice and music and tell her I will not be moving, just laying.  Hope she's okay with it.  She smiles.  Snap out of it!  

53 minutes until class starts.  NO!!!  It's too late to get a sub and if I dig deep, I'm excited to teach.  Just tired.  I love my class & people that come.  How can I connect to them better?  How can I teach the best damn yoga class they've ever taken?  I hope my low energy doesn't affect them.  Maybe they are low too.  The ugly weather.

50 minutes until class.

Visualize the beginning, middle & end.  I can do it.  I will bring the sunshine to my class!  One step at a time.  I will share this thought with the men & women that come tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment