Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Year 3 As A Yoga Instructor.


WHAT A RIDE!  I can't even explain the way I'm feeling now, compared to how I felt when I received my certification.

First thought upon graduating, "what next?"  Just like in college, it's hard to get that first job.  Even the first audition!  And few are willing to give you the chance to shine.  You will remember those few and thank them forever.  Studios, gyms and clubs will say, "you'll need more experience or change this/that and try out again," and sometimes you will.  And it still won't be good enough.  Don't take it personal.  They are looking for a certain brand/personality for their studio.  If it's not a good match for them, it's probably not a good match for you either.

I taught my first class at Cornerstone Studio in Bellevue, a dance center owned by Lea Lo.  She allowed me to teach an evening Restorative class and even let me rent the space for a private class.  I added the YMCA to my weekly teaching schedule, that was fun because I could sub at different Y's all over Seattle & the Eastside.  The classes were big and I was intimidated, choosing music I thought people wanted to hear.

I moved onto a few studios on the Eastside and never really felt like I could be myself.  I thought I wasn't good enough and because I couldn't remember the Sanskrit names, that I'd never be the teacher I wanted to be.  When really, the teacher I wanted to be was the hip hop yogi gal named J, who infused her classes with fun, good music and a workout.

I've taught at a lot of places over the last few years, traveled to San Francisco for the Yoga Journal Conference, attended different workshops and am LEADING my first workshop on Saturday, June 14th from 7-9PM at Fruition Yoga & Wellness.

The title: HIP HOP YOGA & HEALTH WORKSHOP.  How could I be anything but excited, knowing I'm attracting my tribe of music, fitness and health lovers to this heart pumping class?


I'm always available for newly certified instructors and want to share the ins & outs of teaching.

I am VERY MUCH a student.  I'm in my baby years of teaching, haven't even made it to elementary school yet, so it's new, but I feel more confident than when I was a newborn in this industry.

Just yesterday, I accidentally ended the class 15 minutes early, in my mind, class started @ 5...until a student called me over to ask why we were ending 15 minutes early.  Whoops!  Long Savasana!  And then I knocked over my bottle of water...people were kind enough to help me mop it up!  After class I walked to my car...but forgot where I parked, so I wandered aimlessly until I spotted the ol' rig.

If yoga has taught me anything, it's to laugh at yourself, don't take the little things so seriously and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment