Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Teaching in Thailand

Feels like a dream.
5 years ago I was in Thailand, teaching English to 50+ students per class.
3rd and 4th graders.
2% of the class knowing broken English.
I was an observer.  A learner. A seeker of the unknown.
As the weeks passed, I started noticing something.
I didn't have to know the language, I could observe the behavior, investigate the feelings.
I saw friends fist-fighting over being made fun of.
I saw young couples sneaking kisses and holding hands.
I saw teachers laughing and gossiping.
I saw lonely kids who were overweight.
I couldn't speak their language and they couldn't speak mine.
But I could connect with them.
I could give them hugs and try to teach them songs.
I could give them laughter.
I could teach them how to wave hello and goodbye.
I could give them eye contact and hold their hand.
I could give them quality time.

5 years of being back in Seattle.
Keeping my wanderlust in my back pocket, letting it sit there like a benchwarmer.
Getting cheap thrills on weekend trips, conversations with taxi drivers
and googling images of faraway places.
There is nothing like traveling, nothing like surrounding yourself by a culture that is not your own, listening to a language you do not speak, nor understand.
The gifts are often received years later.  The gifts you don't know you are receiving, until one day, you wake up 5 years later and realize how valuable life is.
How grateful you can be knowing that you've found your tribe, or your tribe has found you.

No comments:

Post a Comment