Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why Do We Stop Doing what we love?

Have you ever looked at a yogi?
They walk with a glide. And every step is mindful.
I was browsing through my yogi buddies facebook photos and there's a mass difference between them and my non-yogic friends.
Yogi's dress in looser clothing, wear less makeup and smile effortlessly...When you catch the yoga bug, the scratch doesn't go away.  I've taken month-long breaks from attending classes, trying to prove that I'm different, or better than my yoga practice...It doesn't work.  It makes me feel confused, uneasy and stressed.  I yell at people in my car, I'm not as pleasant to be around and I feel like my footsteps are heavy.  My mind is filled with self doubt and I feel tired.
When I re-enter the world of yoga, it's like a bursting energy ball looming towards my head.  I imagine that my head opens up and in drops a HUGE, shining light!  My thoughts become positive, my posture straightens and my steps through life are effortless.
And after class, I wonder why I've stayed away so long from something that I love?  Something that brings me joy.  What am I fighting?  What am I trying to prove?  I'm not talking about things we love that aren't good for us or that don't love us back.  I know runners who stop running.  Writers who keep their pen in the drawer and speakers who stay silent.  I've named this case, "journey funk."  We get stuck somewhere along the way and we just look around at everyone and everything that keeps moving.  Hoping someone will lend a hand or tell us what to do.  When really, the hand you need to lend is to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment